Healthy Picnic Food
Ditch the old picnic standbys like potato salad, fried chicken, and potato chips, and dig into these healthy alternatives:
- Hummus and pita chips are a hearty alternative to potato chips and ranch dip.
- Use seasonal vegetables to make a refreshing salad.
- Bite sized fruit is a great addition to any picnic. Skewer it on kebabs for a snack that is fun and easy to eat on the go.
- Low-fat ranch dip acts as a delicious accent to assorted chopped veggies.
- Purchase low-sodium salsa. Serve it with blue corn tortilla chips, which are more nutritious than white corn chips.
- Increase the veggie-to-pasta ratio to lighten up your pasta salad.
- Mixing up your own combo of nuts, pretzels, and other salty tidbits lets you avoid the additives in store bought snack mix.
- Drink unsweetened tea, diet soda, or water with fresh lemons.
- No picnic would be complete without a sweet treat. Angel food cake with strawberries and fat-free whipped topping is the perfect ending to a great picnic.